Why study this subject?
- This subject will focus on developing your personal, learning & thinking skills which all contribute to employability. You will work independently, focus on problem solving and be required to analyse, evaluate and create and develop ideas.
- Although drawing is one of the disciplines that students will develop, they will continue to build upon their experiences of KS3 and be encouraged to experiment within a wide range of different media including fine art, printing, Fashion & Textiles, ceramics, digital media and photography, sculpture and many more exciting mediums.
Aims of the course
- To develop your technical and creative skills (drawing, 3d modelling, photography and more).
- To broaden your understanding of the world and how it looks.
- To broaden your knowledge of how other cultures and artists and designers work.
- To give you the opportunity to express yourself creatively.
- To give you the confidence and skills to work independently.
- To give you the confidence and skills to follow a career as an Artist or Designer or to work in various creative sectors.
What can this course lead to?
- There are Sixth Form Art courses at all the Lewes and Brighton Sixth form colleges. There are many BTEC, Diploma and Degree courses covering all aspects of Art and Design. GCSE Art is just a first step, but it could lead to a career as an:
Artist – Illustrator – Graphic Designer – Florist – Make-up Artist – Photographer - Fashion Designer – Potter – Hair Stylist – Set Designer - Interior Designer – Teacher – Jewellery Designer – Cartoonist – Costume Maker and many more possibilities.
Expectations of subject
- Creative and exciting homework every two weeks.
- A range of equipment needed at home, including art pencils, paints, coloured pencils, sketchbook and A2 art folder to transport your work home.
- A1 black card will be provided for students.
- Practical based exam (10 hours creating a final piece).
Support and provisions