Why study this subject?
This course offers many opportunities for students who have a love of cooking and enjoyed food in KS3 lessons. It also offers an understanding and use of technical equipment when making food in practical lessons. The course has a written paper which is 50% of your final exam.
The focus is;
1. Food and Nutrition and Health
2. Food Science
3. Food Safety
4. Food Choice
5. Food Provenance
There are a very limited number of places on this course. Requests will be considered on an indvidual basis.
Aims of the Course
The course is assessed through two' Non Exam Assessments' (NEA1) 15% and (NEA2) 35%.
- A final written exam which is 50% of your GCSE.
- 15% The course has a food investigation and food science where you will understand the chemical properties of food. - for instance; Why does your bread rise? Why has your cake risen?
- 35% Plan prepare and cook 3 dishes in 3 hours. Students will learn high level cooking skills and techniques and have an understanding of food science and human nutrition.
What can this course lead to?
Careers Food Preparation and Nutrition GCSE can lead to are;
food technologists - catering - nutritional therapy - food stylists - sensory science - food science - retail - chefs catering - quality control - research
Expectations of the subject
- Students are expected to carry out homework every week and this will normally involve completing tasks in lessons, planning and preparing food of your own choice.
- Scientific experiments in class and evaluations of these and food practical.
- Ingredients for food will be required. Essential equipment in the food room is provided at school.
Support and provisions